Just In ( Page 57 of 86 )

List View Grid View

FIR against Sonia Gandhi for non payment of dues June 08, 2016 15:16

A complaint against Congress chief Sonia Gandhi has been filed by a construction firm in Kerala for non payment of dues. Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Development Studies Chairman Ramesh Chennithala, former Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee president VM Sudheeran have also been named in the FIR. Heather Constructions who built the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Development Studies file the FIR.  Rajeev, the managing partner of Heather Constructions, said that, his company was given the contract to construct the institute in Thiruvananthapuram but the dues were not cleared. Congress leader Randeep Surjewala, said that, “Neither any criminality involved nor any default of payment. Rajiv gandhi Institute of development studies is a institute constituted under KPCC, they had constituted a research centre." "There is an ongoing dispute between engineers, who built the institute, and contractor, who executed the work. Contractor had filed a civil suit, issue is almost sorted out. Within 24 hours, all parties will sit together and settle the issue," he added. Also Read: Raghuram Rajan keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.5% Nandini

Read More

Raghuram Rajan keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.5% June 07, 2016 12:21

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan kept the benchmark repo rate unchanged at a five-year low of 6.5 per cent, reverse repo rate at 6.00 per cent and CRR at 4%. The RBI plans to set interest rates are depend on the retail inflation. The decision was widely expected as retail inflation increases to 5.39 per cent in April from 4.83 per cent in March.    Dr Rajan said in a statement, that, "The inflation surprise in the April reading makes the future trajectory of inflation somewhat more uncertain. Incoming data show a sharper-than-anticipated upsurge in inflationary pressures emanating from a number of food items (beyond seasonal effects), as well as a reversal in commodity prices," The central bank aims to bring retail inflation down to 5 per cent by March 2017. Also Read : Dadri tense, Section 144 imposed in Bishad village  Nandini

Read More

Dadri tense, Section 144 imposed in Bishad village June 06, 2016 14:42

The local administration in Gautam Buddha Nagar has imposed  Section 144 in the Bisahada village in Dadri on June 6. The village residents warned of holding a ‘Mahapanchayat’ following the forensic report that revealed that the meat sample found in Mohammed Akhlaq’s house was beef. The local political leaders and villagers demanding a case of cow slaughter against the family. The  villagers met the Gautam Budh Nagar SSP Dharmendra Yadav to press their demand for registration of an FIR against Akhlaq's family. “It’s a sensitive matter. The Circle Officer, Dadri will head a probe into the charges,” said the SSP. "A complaint was filed with police after the forensic report said the meat in the freezer at Akhlaq's house was beef. No FIR has been filed yet in this regard," Sanjay Rana, father of Vishal Rana, an accused in the 2015 lynching case said. "The villagers have decided to hold a Mahapanchayat tomorrow as police have failed to register an FIR based on our complaint. Residents of Satha Chaurasi village will also attend it," he claimed. On the other hand, earlier this week, the Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had questioned the authenticity of the forensic report and said "there was nothing objectionable in his house. Every eye is on this matter. Everyone wants that the victim's family should get justice as murder had taken place." Also read: Anantnag bypoll postponed to June 22! Nandini

Read More

Anantnag bypoll postponed to June 22! June 03, 2016 17:33

The  Election Commission of India has postponed the voting for Anantnag Assembly seat to June 22. The decision was taken after communications from the State government. Earlier, the voting was scheduled to be held on June 19. An official of the State electoral office, said that, “Following requests by various political parties including the PDP, NC and the Congress, State chief secretary had written to the election commission requesting postponement of voting for Anantnag Assembly by-election to June 22.” “The request was made by the political parties because June 19 is the death anniversary of a religious leader who belonged to Anantnag,” the official said. “After consultations with State Chief Electoral Officer Shantmanu the Election Commission has postponed the voting date to June 22 instead of June 19. Counting will now take place on June 25,” the official added. Eight candidates, including Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, are in the fray for Anantnag bypolls.   Also read: High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial! Nandini

Read More

High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial! May 30, 2016 16:26

High-Speed Spanish Talgo Train begins its trial ran at the speed of 110-115 kms per hour in India under its strategy to induct faster trains. The trial was conducted on the Bareilly-Moradabad line in Uttar Pradesh.   According to the officials, the lighter and faster train has nine coaches. It hauled by a 4,500 HP diesel engine, covered the 90-km distance in 70 minutes. The train left Bareilly at 9.05 AM and reached Moradabad at 10.15 AM. Rajiv Mishra, General Manager, North Eastern Railways (NER) said that, "The train ran at 100 to 115 km/hour speed." "The trial will continue on the same route till Jun 12," Mishra said. The train also consists four Chair Cars, two executive Class cars, a cafeteria, a power car and a tail-end coach for staff and equipment. Hamid Akhtar, Executive Director of Railways' Research Designs and Standards Organization (RDSO) who travelled by the Talgo train, said that, "there will be three more such runs" before the success or failure could be assessed. "It is difficult to say anything about the success or failure of the trial. We will record the timings and other parameters during the journey (in further runs). The data will be analyzed and then only we will be able to say anything. Nevertheless it was a smooth ride," he said. Also read: India 'heaviest baby' born in Karnataka weighs 6.8kg Nandini

Read More

Baramulla: Gunfire begins between militants and security forces, 2 security personnel injured May 27, 2016 12:28

Two soldiers has been injured in the fierce gunbattle between security forces and militants in Kashmir's Baramulla district, police said. The gunfire broke out after security forces launched a search operation in Kanchipora village of Tangmarg following information about presence of two militants in the area. "Security forces surrounded Khonchipora village in Tangmarg area late Thursday night following information that two militants were hiding in the village," a senior police official said. "As the security forces closed in on a house on Friday morning where the militants were hiding, they came under heavy gunfire which is going on," the official added. Also read: Militants attack in Srinagar, Hizbul Mujahideen claims responsibility Nandini

Read More

India 'heaviest baby' born in Karnataka weighs 6.8kg May 26, 2016 18:27

A 20 year old woman in Karnataka has given birth to a 6.8kg baby girl that could possibly be the heaviest child ever born in India. The baby girl was born by a Caesarean section, at a hospital in the southern state of Karnataka. Dr Venkatesh R, district health official in Hassan district, said that, "It is the biggest baby in India, I can say. Whether it is the biggest in the world, I cannot say right now." "The baby's height is 62cm (24.4in) as against the normal Indian baby's height of 50cm," said Dr SR Kumar, who is looking after mother Nandini and baby girl. "We have done an ultrasound and conducted blood tests on Nandini, but we didn't find any abnormality," Dr Kumar said. "We have sent the samples for a test called an inborn error of metabolism. We should get the result after 48 hours." The heaviest Indian baby record is named to a boy, born to Firdous Khatun of Uttar Pradesh in November 2015. The baby boy weighed 6.7kg. Also read: President gives nod for NEET ordinance Nandini

Read More

President gives nod for NEET ordinance May 24, 2016 17:42

An ordinance on NEET was signed by President Pranab Mukherjee that was earlier cleared by the Union Cabinet. This would partly overturn a verdict from SC that said all government colleges, private medical colleges and deemed universities would be covered under National Eligibility cum Entrance Test or NEET. This indicates that the Students of State boards need not sit for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test on 24 July 2016. However, from the next academic session, they will have to be a part of the uniform entrance exam. Before arriving to a decision on the ordinance, more information and clarification on few points were sought by the President from the Health Ministry. Health Minister J.P. Nadda alled on the President to brief him about the necessity to bring an Executive Order before the latter leaves for China on Tuesday. NEET  was opposed by over 15 States, raising issues like different languages and syllabus during a recent meeting of State Health Ministers. On 1 May 2016, in the first phase of NEET, almost 6.5 lakh students already took medical entrance test. Candidates applying for private medical colleges and Central government colleges opted to take the exam. - Sumana

Read More

India signs deal for development of Chabahar port May 23, 2016 17:51

India has signed 12 agreements with Iran, one of which is a deal to operate a strategic port in Chabahar. It is located on the Persian Gulf nation's southern coast. After signing agreements in Tehran, a joint press conference was held that was presided by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and PM Narendra Modi. Rouhani said, "Chabahar can become a very big symbol of co-operation between Iran and India," "The Chabahar port can serve as a point of connectivity between different countries, specially India and Afghanistan," he added. PM Modi described the agreement to develop Chabahar port as a key milestone. India will provide $500 million towards the deal. The PM said, "Our dosti is as old as history." "The outcomes and agreements signed today open a new chapter in our strategic partnership," he added. PM said that views were exchanged between India and Iran regarding on the emerging regional situation and global issues of common concern. He said that both the countries would consult each other regularly and closely to combat terrorism threats, drug trafficking,  radicalism and cyber crime. In Iran's Chabahar free trade zone, India will invest billions of dollars to set up industries, ranging from aluminum smelter to urea plants. - Sumana

Read More

Militants attack in Srinagar, Hizbul Mujahideen claims responsibility May 23, 2016 17:46

Three police men were killed by militants in two separate attacks in Srinagar, on Monday. For both the attacks, Hizbul Mujahideen has claimed responsibility. According to a senior police officer, “Militants fired at the personal security guard of a protected person in Tengpora area of Srinagar city.” “The injured policeman later succumbed to bullet injuries. The militants also snatched the service rifle of the policeman," the police officer said. A spokesperson Hizbul Mujahideen called a local news agency to claim responsibility for both the attacks. Earlier in the day, an assistant sub-inspector (ASI) and a constable in Zadibal area of the old city were killed by motorcycle-borne assailants. - Sumana

Read More

Jayalalithaa almost there for historic win in Tamil Nadu May 19, 2016 15:59

AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa is almost there for a historic win in Tamil Nadu. The likely win would make her the first Chief Minister to be voted back to power in Tamil Nadu in 32 years. The fractured political field has benefited Jayalalithaa for the second election in a row and she fought the polls alone. Thus, no alliance options would remain for smaller parties. Meanwhile, the DMK never won elections against the AIADMK without an umbrella alliance. Relegating a majority of exit polls to the ash heap, AIADMK led in 140 seats by around 11 am. IN contrast, DMK led in 80 constituencies. AIADMK won 64 and are leading in 70, while DMK+CONG won 53 and leading with 45, at around 4 PM. - Sumana

Read More

"He is mentally not fully Indian,” Subramanian Swamy on Rajan May 17, 2016 18:26

In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy has sought for immediate sacking of Raghuram Rajan as RBI governor. In the letter, he wrote, "The RBI governor is wilfully and deliberately wrecking the Indian economy. He is mentally not fully Indian." "The reason why I recommend this is that I am shocked by the wilful and apparently deliberate attempt by Dr Rajan to wreck the Indian economy," Swamy has written. According to Swamy, bad loans with public sector banks doubled to Rs 3.5 lakh crore within two years. He said these actions of Dr Rajan lead to the beliefs that he is more a disrupter of the Indian economy than someone who wants to improve the Indian economy. The BJP leader said, "Moreover he is in this country on a Green Card provided by the US government and therefore mentally not fully Indian. Otherwise why would he renew his Green Card as RBI governor by making the mandatory annual visit to the US to keep the Green Card current?" Urging the PM to terminate Dr Raghuram Rajan’s appointment in the national interest, Swamy said in his letter to the Prime Minister that, "I cannot see why someone appointed by the UPA Government who is apparently working against Indian economic interests should be kept in this post when we have so many nationalist minded experts available in this country for the RBI governorship." In September 2013, the previous UPA government appointed Rajan as the RBI governor for a three-year term. "In my opinion, RBI governor is not appropriate for the country. I don't want to speak much about him. He has hiked interest rates in the garb of controlling inflation that has damaged the country," Swamy had told reporters in Parliament House. -Sumana

Read More