Just In ( Page 48 of 86 )

List View Grid View

High alert declared along Gujarat coast after reports of Pak terror boats! October 03, 2016 18:18

India's Multi-Agency Centre (MAC) has issued a high alert along the costal states of Gujarat and Maharashtra, as tension prevails between India and Pakistan in the aftermath of the Uri attack. According to the authorities, the states have been warned about the suspicious movement of two boats which could be coming from Karachi in Pakistan. The intelligence report, latitude and longitude of the boats has been given, it also mentions that one boat is still holed up in Pakistani water due to a technical snag, while the other one is holding the position near the former. Earlier, a Pakistani boat with nine crew members was apprehended off the Gujarat coast by the Indian Coast Guard Ship 'Samudra Pavak'. Preliminary information available had indicated that those on board were Pakistani fishermen. The Coast Guard had said that sensitive sea areas off Gujarat coast have been "sanitised" and surveillance enhanced following India's surgical strike on terror launch pads across the LoC.  - Nandini

Read More

SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin’s bail, send back to jail September 30, 2016 15:05

The Supreme Court of India cancelled the bail of RJD leader Mohammad Shahabuddin as it set aside the Patna High Court order of releasing him in a murder case. Bihar government was ordered by a Bench of Justices P.C. Ghose and Amitava Roy to take Shahabuddin back into custody "forthwith". “The state government shall take all steps to comply with the orders of the court,” it said. Senior advocate Prashant Bhushan had argued before the Supreme Court that Shahabuddin had “walked out of jail at will” without following any rules. “The jail authorities were terrified of him. Bhushan sought cancellation of bail of Shahabuddin on the ground that if he be enlarged on bail, then the life of the last witness, who was testify in a case, would be in danger,” Bhushan had said. Shahabuddin, who had been in jail for more than 10 years in connection with multiple cases, was granted bail by the Patna High Court on September 7 in connection with the murder of a man who witnessed the killing of two brothers in Siwan. Nandini

Read More

Rahul Gandhi granted relief in criminal defamation case! September 29, 2016 16:46

Rahul Gandhi, the Congress Vice President was granted relief by a local court in a criminal defamation case filed against him by a RSS functionary. His lawyer Anshuman Bora said outside the high security Court, that, Gandhi appeared as accused before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate Kamrup and was granted Personal Recognisance (PR) bond as he appeared personally and in deference to his status as a Member of Parliament. “We had filed a bail application for him but as Rahul Gandhi appeared in person the court allowed him to go on PR bond. The next date of hearing has been fixed for November 5”, Bora said. The complainant was Bibhag Chanchalak of RSS, Anjan Bora’s, counsel Bijon Mahajan said. “We did not oppose the bail application as per the complainant’s advice”. The complainant had filed a criminal defamation case against Gandhi that he had brought down the image of the RSS by saying he was not allowed by RSS members to enter Barpeta Satra, a 16th century Vaishnavite monastery, in Assam on December 12, 2015. Nandini

Read More

Jim Yong Kim re-appointed as World Bank President! September 28, 2016 16:32

The World Bank announced that, Jim Yong Kim has been re-appointed for a second five-year term as its president, beginning July 1, next year. Kim said in a statement, that, "Humbled to have the honour of serving a second term as the head of this great institution. I would focus on building a more inclusive world free of poverty." "In order to deliver these goals, the Bank had to accelerate, become bolder and more agile, and reposition itself. We did this so that we could increase support for countries and deliver better results more quickly. I believe we are well on the way to achieve these important aims," Kim said. "The challenges going forward remain large, with climate change, forced displacement and pandemics threatening the gains we have made to improve the lives of billions.” "We will need to work even more closely with partners and continue to find new and innovative ways to leverage scarce development resources effectively," he said. Nandini

Read More

Islamabad SAARC summit cancelled! September 28, 2016 16:28

The SAARC summit of 2016, scheduled to be held in Islamabad in November is all set to be cancelled, a senior diplomatic source in Kathmandu has confirmed. The confirmation from the current SAARC Chair, Nepal, came hours after Bangladesh, Bhutan and Afghanistan followed India’s decision to boycott from the summit. The Hindu reported, a Kathmandu-based diplomatic source, said that, “There is no question of holding the summit if four countries declare their unwillingness to participate. As the current SAARC Chair, Nepal has the responsibility of seeking a solution to such pre-summit disputes but under the current circumstances nothing much can be attempted. We will do the due formalities and will declare the summit of 2016 should be cancelled due to non-participation of member-states.” According to a communication from Dhaka to Nepal, “The growing interference in the internal affairs of Bangladesh by one country has created an environment, which is not conducive to the successful hosting of the 19th SAARC summit in Islamabad in November 2016. Bangladesh, as the initiator of the SAARC process, remains steadfast in its commitment to regional cooperation, connectivity and contacts but believes that these can only go forward in a more congenial atmosphere.” “While reaffirming Bhutan’s strong commitment to the SAARC process and strengthening of regional cooperation, it notes ‘the concern of the Royal Government of Bhutan on the recent escalation of terrorism in the region, which has seriously compromised the environment for the successful holding of the 19th SAARC summit in Islamabad,” the Bhutanese note said. The cancellation of the summit is unprecedented, as four member-states have cited “terrorism” and “imposed violence” while withdrawing from the summit. Nandini

Read More

India suspends talks on Indus water pact! September 27, 2016 18:53

The Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a meeting of senior officials from the Water Resources, External Affairs Ministries and the PMO to discuss the government’s options on the India-Pakistan Indus Waters Treaty in the wake of the Uri attack. Modi declared “blood and water cannot flow together”. According to the government, they decided to suspend talks on the Permanent Indus Commission, the dispute redressal mechanism that has met 112 times, until “terror comes to an end”. The Article VIII of the Indus Waters Treaty, stated that, the Commission must meet once a year, alternately in India and Pakistan. The last meeting was held in July 2016. The Prime Minister held the meeting as “things have been difficult with Pakistan,” adding that, hence, “this was the appropriate time to review arrangements under the Indus Waters Treaty again.” Also Read: Befitting reply by Sushma Swaraj to Pakistan!  Nandini

Read More

Pakistan will approach U.N. if India violates Indus Waters Treaty! September 27, 2016 18:37

The Foreign Affairs Adviser to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Sartaj Aziz, says if India suspends the 58-year-old Indus Waters Treaty, Pakistan would approach the U.N. and the International Court of Justice, insisting that the revocation of the treaty could be taken as an “act of war.”Mr. Aziz said while briefing the National Assembly on the issue, that, “The international law states that India cannot unilaterally separate itself from the treaty.” A unilateral revocation of the treaty could pose a threat to Pakistan and its economy, he said. “This Indian act can be taken as breach of international peace and hence giving Pakistan a good reason to approach the U.N. Security Council,” he said. Also Read: India claims diplomatic win over Pakistan at UN! Nandini

Read More

Shoe thrown at Rahul Gandhi during roadshow in Uttar Pradesh! September 26, 2016 15:56

A man hurled shoe at the Rahul Gandhi, the vice-president of the Congress during his roadshow in Uttar Pradesh's Sitapur. The shoe missed the mark but the attacker was arrested. Mr Gandhi said later, that, “BJP-RSS spread hatred but Congress and I operate with love, we will stick to that." Anoop Mishra, the shoe thrower, claims to be a journalist, he said that, "The Congress has left the country in the dumps in the past 60 years. I have been a journalist for two years and I know. What were they doing when they were in power?" Mr Gandhi, 45, is on a month-long "kisan yatra", his farmers' outreach in the state where elections will be held early next year. He has completed over 2,200 km and has around two more weeks to go, his aides say. - Nandini

Read More

India, France signed deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets! September 23, 2016 19:03

Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and his French counterpart Jean Yves Le Drian signed the Euro 7.87-billion (Rs 59,000 crore approx) deal for Rafale fighter jets. It is equipped with latest missiles and weapon system besides multiple India-specific modifications, which will give the IAF greater "potency" over arch rival Pakistan. India and France signed the Inter Governmental Agreement after PM Modi announced Indias plans to buy 36 Rafale fighter aircraft in fly away condition during his trip to France. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, said that, "Pleased to inform that India has signed an agreement for procurement of 36 Rafale aircraft with weapon systems, five years complete spares and maintenance, performance based logistics, India specific special provisions. This is an achievement which will give the IAF the required potency in terms of penetration and capability." These combat aircraft, delivery of which will start in 36 months and will be completed in 66 months from the date the contract is inked, comes equipped with state-of-the-art missiles weaponry that will give IAF a capability that had been sorely missing in its arsenal. Nandini

Read More

Samsung Note 2 catches fire on flight to Chennai! September 23, 2016 17:20

A Samsung Note 2 phone reportedly catches fire on a domestic flight landing into Chennai. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has summoned Samsung officials. The phone was kept in the overhead bin. A DGCA spokesman said that, "The crew noticed smoke from the bin and found the device was emitting smoke after possibly catching fire. They used fire extinguishers on it." According to a DGCA spokesman, "We advise flyers to exercise caution while flying with Samsung Note devices. They should either keep these devices switched off or not travel with them." The regulator has asked the airline to give it the phone for a probe. This matter will be discussed with Samsung officials on Monday. Also Read: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 replacements to start from 21 September Nandini

Read More

Home Ministry receives Baloch leader's request for Indian ID September 22, 2016 18:44

The Home Ministry has received Baloch leader's Brahamdagh Bugti's request for an Indian ID card and travel papers, a senior government official confirmed. The request was forwarded by Ministry of External Affairs to the Home Ministry. The last time India granted an asylum request was in 1959 to Dalai Lama. According to the sources, Mr. Bugti will have to undergo multiple layers of verification before he is granted an Indian ID card and travel papers. The final call will be taken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Earlier, Bugti said that he has decided to formally file asylum papers to the Indian government. “We will start working on it right away. We will go to the Indian embassy and follow the legal process.” Also Read: Baloch leader Brahumdagh Bugti seeks asylum in India! Nandini

Read More

Mumbai Navy on highest alert! September 22, 2016 16:29

Indian Navy has been put on highest alert in Mumbai after two school children claimed that they saw suspicious movement near Uran naval base. The students informed that they they saw five suspected persons in black uniform wholly covered and carrying long weapon and heavy sac bag. The student of UES school in Uran first informed the principal and after that police had been alerted. The police has confirmed combing a part of the Uran area of Navi Mumbai to verify suspicious looking men seen by the students. DGP Satish Mathur said, “Two students have informed that they have seen suspicious men in Uran. While one student has claimed of spotting one person, the other has claimed to have seen five. Post the information, multiple agencies are probing it”. State 1 alert was ordered primarily for two reasons; first, there is an ammunition depot near the spot where the children sighted the suspicious looking men, second, INS Abhimanyu is also very close to the spot. Heavily armed militants of the Lashkar-e-Taiba had killed over 150 people in one of the worst terror attacks in Mumbai in 2008. The attack lasted for three days before the Indian forces eliminated the nine terrorists and caught alive one, named Ajmal Kasab. Marine commandos MARCOS have been deployed at the Uran Navy base. Mumbai police have put up nakabanbdis across the city and have reviewing the situation. Also Read: Reign of Terror: Suicide squad killed 17 soldiers, Uri, J&K By Prakriti Neogi

Read More