Irom Sharmila to end 16-year long fast today! August 09, 2016 09:56
Manipur's 'Iron Lady' Irom Chanu Sharmila is all set to end her 16 years long fast today. She was demanding repeal of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act from Manipur. Her brother Irom Singhajit, said that, 44-year-old iconic rights activist, who was forcibly fed through a nasal tube since 2000 to keep her alive at a prison-turned-hospital, will break her fast at a local court in Imphal. "She will be produced before a judicial magistrate today and the court will release her from judicial custody after she breaks her fast as she had announced a fortnight ago," he said. Sharmila’s 84-year-old mother, Irom Sakhi, is a little downcast and said that, “I have waited for the last 16 years. Every day, I prayed that Sharmila be successful in her mission. I had told her that the day AFSPA is repealed from Manipur, I will feed her the first morsel of food with my own hands. That is all I have to say.” Local activist Kshetrimayum Onil, who has been associated with Sharmila for a long time, said they tried many times but failed to meet her, but "The government rules say that to meet her we have to apply at least one month before. We tried but failed to set up a meeting," he said. The PTI reported, Dr Laishram Deben, director of Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital, said that, “Her condition is okay as she has been getting all nutrients. She can walk also." Terrorist attack in Assam, 14 killed, 15 injured Nandini
Read MoreKashmir unrest: CM Mehbooba Mufti meets Home Minister Rajnath Singh August 08, 2016 18:36
The chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Mehbooba Mufti meets Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in Delhi to discuss the situation in Kashmir. According to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) sources, Ms. Mehbooba left for Delhi on Monday afternoon to meet Mr. Singh to discuss the unrest in Kashmir in the wake of killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces last month. Opposition National Conference leader Omar Abdullah said while reacting on the move, that, Ms. Mehbooba has finally given up the “business as usual act.” Mr. Omar tweeted, “So @MehboobaMufti has finally given up on her ‘business as usual’ act and rushed to Delhi instead. “The amazing thing is that it’s taken 31 days and more than 50 deaths to finally ‘disturb’ the Chief Minister.” Also Read: Kashmir violence: Civilian killed in firing Nandini
Read MoreGovernment may ban Zakir Naik's NGO! August 08, 2016 16:04
The government is planning to ban Salafist preacher Zakir Naik's NGO Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), as it has been favored as an "unlawful association" under the Unlawful Association (Prevention) Act (UAPA) by the legal opinion to the Home Ministry. According to the UAPA, an 'unlawful' association is different from a 'terrorist' organization. The law, while defining an "unlawful association", covers any organization "which has for its object any activity that is punishable under Section 153A or 153B of IPC". Any organization declared as 'unlawful' will be banned from recruiting members and face closure of all its offices and interests across the country. The home ministry was also examining possible FCRA violations by IRF and IRF Educational Trust, both registered as "educational" NGOs under FCRA. However, once IRF is declared 'unlawful', it will face a ban on not only receiving foreign funding but also domestic funding. Also Read: Zakir Naik's 'aide' arrested for recruiting youths for IS! Nandini
Read MoreIndian prisoner attacked thrice in Pakistan jail! August 06, 2016 12:30
An Indian prisoner in Pakistan jail was attacked at least thrice by inmates in recent months in a Peshawar jail, his lawyer says. The 31-year-old Hamid Nehal Ansari, a Mumbai resident was arrested for possessing a fake Pakistani identity card in 2012. He was sentenced by a military court for illegally entering Pakistan from Afghanistan reportedly to meet a girl he had befriended online. The Pakistan media has reported, Masoodur Rehman, superintendent of the prison confirmed the incidents but insisted that they are of minor nature and that such incidents did happen in prisons. His lawyer Qazi Mohammad Anwar said in a Peshawar High Court Bench that, “He (Ansari) can’t be kept in a normal barrack along with other prisoners for the sake of his security.” Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Vikas Swarup Friday said they have asked for “consular access” to Ansari. Also Read: Rajnath Singh Islamabad visit: Saeed warns of nationwide protest Nandini
Read MoreIndian workers’ issue solved: Saudi envoy August 06, 2016 11:24
The Saudi Arabia's Ambassador to India says the problems of Indian workers in Saudi Arabia have been “resolved”. The plight of Indians, who had gone without food for three days, was “an isolated case”, he said. The Hindu reported, Ambassador Saud Bin Mohammed Al Sati said that, all laid-off workers affected would be fed, have papers arranged and flown back to India, if required, at the expense of the Saudi government. “The problem was the result of an individual act by one company (Saudi Oger Construction Company). Steps have been taken about it. But let me repeat, this was an isolated case, not a trend or some phenomenon existing across other companies.” “Three million Indians live and work in Saudi Arabia, enjoy their life in Saudi Arabia. And there has been no change in the average number of Indians traveling to work in Saudi Arabia. So where is the problem?” he said. MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup said that, “Due to our excellent relationship with Saudi Arabia and efforts made at the highest level, things are in control and this humanitarian issue is being handled with utmost care and consideration.” “The number of Indian workers facing food crisis in Saudi Arabia is over Ten Thousand. It is not 800 as is being reported,” External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted even as Gen. Singh left for Riyadh on a mission they dubbed “No Indian left behind”. “Obviously, if some complain, then the government is bound to listen and wish to help. But that doesn’t change the relationship. There is no other relationship like this, and it is not just government-to-government but people-to-people ties that bind us,” Ambassador Al-Sati added. Also Read: VK Singh to leave for Saudi Arabia to help laid-off Indians! Nandini
Read MoreVijay Rupani named Gujarat chief minister! August 05, 2016 18:52
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has elected Vijay Rupani as the new chief minister of Gujarat and Nitin Patel as the deputy chief minister of Gujarat. The oath taking ceremony is scheduled to be held on Sunday, 7 August, 2016. Vijay Rupani is the state president of the BJP and was the minister for transport, water supply, labor and employment in Anandiben's cabinet. Mr. Rupani began his political career as a student activist attached to ABVP, the student wing of the RSS. He naturally moved to RSS and then to the BJP. Mr. Rupani was jailed during the Emergency. He has been the Mayor of Rajkot and served as Minister under Narendra Modi. Also Read: Anandiben Patel quits as Gujarat CM! Nandini
Read MoreIAF trainer jet crashes in West Bengal! August 04, 2016 17:38
A Hawk advanced Indian Air Force trainer aircraft was crashed soon after take off from Air Force Station, Kalaikunda in West Midnapore. Both the pilots ejected safely. The reason behind the crash is seems to be a "technical snag". According to the IAF sources, the jet developed a technical problem at about 1100 hours, minutes after taking off from Kalaikunda air station in West Bengal, where another Hawk had crashed in June last year. The sources said that, the crash happened within the boundary of the air station, 138 kms from here, and the two pilots ejected safely, they said. "A Court of Inquiry has been instituted into the crash," an IAF source said. Also Read: Emirates Flight from Thiruvananthapuram crash-landed in Dubai, no casualties Nandini
Read MoreGovernment contacts Indians stuck in Libya August 04, 2016 15:18
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj says, the government has established contacts with three Indians who are stuck in war-torn Libya after they sought help. The men are in a place which is 899 km from capital Tripoli. They hails from the Punjab state of India. Ms. Swaraj tweeted. “We have established contact with the three men from Punjab. They are 900 km away from Tripoli.” “As road journey is not safe, they have to be flown to Tripoli after obtaining exit Visas from Benghazi.” “I may inform that two of them were earlier evacuated at the government expense. However, they returned to Libya on 28.4.2016,” Ms. Swaraj said. Her intervention came after Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal requested Ms. Swaraj to help them in returning to India. Also Read: I am personally monitoring Saudi Arabia crisis: Sushma Swaraj Nandini
Read MoreIslamic State group announces new Boko Haram leader! August 04, 2016 12:51
The Islamic State (IS) militant group announced that its West African affiliate Boko Haram named a new leader. Abu Musab al-Barnawi, previously served as the spokesman for the Nigerian-based Islamists, is featured in an interview published in the latest issue of an IS magazine. According to the interview, the new leader is threatening to bomb churches and kill Christians while ending attacks on mosques and markets used by ordinary Muslims. Abu Musab al-Barnawi identified as the new "Wali," or governor, of its so-called West Africa Province in the magazine. The "Wali" title was previously used to describe long-time Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau. The Times of India reported, "They strongly seek to Christianize the society. They exploit the condition of those who are displaced under the raging war, providing them with food and shelter and then Christianizing their children," SITE Intelligence quotes the new leader as saying. Al-Barnawi says the militants will respond to that threat by "booby-trapping and blowing up every church that we are able to reach, and killing all of those (Christians) who we find from the citizens of the cross." Also Read: Zakir Naik's 'aide' arrested for recruiting youths for IS! Nandini
Read MoreEmirates Flight from Thiruvananthapuram crash-landed in Dubai, no casualties August 03, 2016 16:34
An Emirates airline flight, that was coming from Thiruvananthapuram crash-landed at Dubai International Airport on Wednesday, The Dubai government media office said on its official Twitter account, “We can confirm flight EK521 from Thiruvananthapuram to Dubai has been involved in an accident at Dubai International” adding that there were no reported casualties yet, “ We can confirm that there are no fatalities among our passengers and crew. All passengers and crew are accounted for and safe” There were 275 passengers and crew on board. Reportedly all of them are safe. Pictures posted on social media showed a thick black plume of smoke had been rising from the top of a burning plane. Emirates airlines on its Twitter page wrote, “There were 275 passengers and crew on board. Our main priority now is the safety and well-being of all involved. We are extending full co-operation to authorities & emergency services managing the situation. We will update the Emirates website & social media channels as more information becomes available”. According to the Twitter account of live air traffic monitor Flightradar24, takeoffs and landings at Dubai had been stopped because of the incident. They added that the plane involved in the accident was a Boeing 777-300 A6-EMW. The flight was EK521 coming from Thiruvananthapuram. Officials from the airline and Dubai International Airport have been declining to provide further details immediately. Also Read: Three women made a History in For Indian Defence Force By Prakriti Neogi
Read MoreKashmir violence: Civilian killed in firing August 03, 2016 13:19
At least one civilian killed at several wounded after the Personal Security Officer (PSO) of a Sub-District Magistrate (SDM) opened fire at protesters in Pampore town in south Kashmir. According to the preliminary reports, the SDM’s vehicle was stopped in the volatile Lethpora area of Pampore, 20 km away from Srinagar. Tensions were raised in the area after the force damaged windowpanes, raided several mosques and seized the public address system to stop airing of pro-Burhan Wani songs during the day. The PSO's vehicle was circled by protesters before he allegedly opened fire. The victim identified as Farooq Ahmad Kuchay, died immediately, pushing the death toll of civilians to 52 since July 8. Also Read: Kashmir violence: Modi chairs high-level meeting, Rajnath cancels US visit Nandini
Read MoreRajnath plans to press for SAARC terror desk! August 03, 2016 13:15
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh is planning to press for bringing into operation the SAARC Terrorist Offences Monitoring Desk (STOMD) during his Islamabad visit to attend the SAARC meeting of home ministers. The desk which aimed at collate, analyze and disseminate information on terror offences, strategies, tactics, and methods in the SAARC region was established in Colombo in 1995. A senior official of the Union Home Ministry, who is part of Mr. Singh’s delegation, said that, “There are some technical issues that are coming in the way of making the STOMD functional, despite Pakistan being part of the association; we want to go ahead with the proposal. We are ready to cooperate on all aspects of terror.” “We have told them that the Home Minister is one of the highly protected individuals in India and he has a threat from terror outfits such as the Lashkar-e-Taiba, the JeM, the Taliban and even the Al Qaeda in Indian Subcontinent (AQIS). They have assured us of his security,” said a top official of the Home Ministry. On Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed’s comments that his organization would protest Mr. Singh’s visit, the official said: “When the Chinese President came here, many calls for protests were given by Tibetan groups. It was our responsibility to ensure that the protesters were not allowed anywhere near the venue and the hotel. The same [rule] applies to Pakistan now.” “This (Saeed’s protest call) is the internal matter of Pakistan and I am sure Pakistan Rangers (tasked with guarding the borders) are more than competent to handle this issue,” BSF Director-General K.K. Sharma said. Also Read: Rajnath Singh Islamabad visit: Saeed warns of nationwide protest Nandini
Read More




