Easy Masoor Dal Biryani RecipeSeptember 10, 2018 12:16
(Image source from: Youtube)
Want to try a unique and a tasty Biryani recipe? Then try this Masoor Dal Biryani recipe that is very easy and quick to prepare. This dish has a nice flavor and also a crunchy taste of masoor dal. The addition of the different spices makes this dish more flavorful and tempting. This dish is a simple, lip-smacking, and delicious which is prefect for a weekend lunch or dinner.
For The Rice
- 1 cup brown rice , soaked for 15 minutes and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 4 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 2 cardamoms
- Salt to taste
To Be Ground Into A Smooth Paste
- 1 tbsp coriander (dhania) seeds
- 2 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 clove garlic (lehsun)
- 1 bay leaf (tejpatta)
- 1 cardamom (elaichi)
For The Masoor Mixture
- 3/4 cup masoor (whole red lentil) , soaked and drained
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 3/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp low-fat milk , 99.7% fat-free
For The Garnish
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For the rice
1. Heat 3 cups of water in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, rice and salt, mix it well and cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes and stir occasionally and keep it aside.
For the masoor mixture
2. In a blender, add coriander seeds, poppy seeds, chopped ginger, cumin seeds, garlic, bay leaf, cardamom, and a little water and blend to a smooth paste.
3. Soak the masoor in water for at least 6 hours and then drain the water from it and keep it aside.
4. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and fry on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the blended paste and mix well and fry on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
6. Add the tomatoes, 2 tbsp water and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes and stir occasionally.
7. Add the masoor, salt and ¾ cup of water, mix it well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the water evaporates and the masoor has been cooked and stir occasionally.
8. Add the lemon juice and mix it well and keep it aside.
How to proceed
9. Discard the bay leaf and cinnamon from the rice and divide the rice into 2 equal portions and keep it aside.
10. On a greased baking dish, pour 1 tbsp of low-fat milk and put a portion of the rice and spread it evenly with the help of a spoon.
11. Put the masoor mixture on it and spread it evenly and finally, add the remaining rice on it and spread it evenly.
12. Pour the 1 tbsp of low-fat milk evenly over it and cover it with a lid and bake in a preheated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes or microwave on high power for 4 to 5 minutes.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it any raita of your choice.
- Meghna Nath