Tasty and Spicy Masala Dosa RecipeSeptember 14, 2018 17:46
(Image source from: tastingtable.com)
Masala Dosa Recipe is a classic South Indian breakfast dish which is loved by all. This Dosa is soft from both the sides and filled with potato filling. This is perfect when you have unexpected guests at your home. This dosa has a nice crispy texture, and also very easy to make. Let’s follow this recipe.
Preparation Time: 20 min; Cooking Time: 25 min;
For The Aloo Masala
- 1 1/4 cups boiled and peeled potato cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1/2 tsp split urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 9 tsp butter for greasing and cooking
- 1 1/2 cup of Dosa batter
For the dosa batter
- 1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tbsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1 cup raw rice (chawal)
- 1 cup par-boiled rice (ukda chawal)
- 2 tbsp flattened beaten rice (jada poha)
For the aloo masala
1. Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds and when the seeds crackle, add the urad dal and fry on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
2. Add the green chilies, curry leaves and onions and fry on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes and stir occasionally.
3. Add the potatoes, salt, turmeric powder, lemon juice and sugar, mix it well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes and stir occasionally.
4. Add the coriander, mix it well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute and once cooled, mash it lightly with the back of the spoon and keep it aside.
For the Dosa batter
5. Wash and soak the urad dal, fenugreek seeds and enough water in a deep bowl and mix it well and cover it with a lid and keep it aside to for 4 hours.
6. Wash and soak the par-boiled rice, raw rice, flattened beaten rice and enough water in a deep bowl and mix it well and cover with a lid and keep aside for 4 hours.
7. Drain the urad dal and fenugreek seeds and blend to a smooth paste by using approx. 1 cup of water and transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep it aside.
8. Drain the par-boiled rice, raw rice, and flattened beaten rice and blend to a smooth paste by using approx. 1 cup of water.
9. Transfer the mixture into the same bowl of the urad dal batter, add the salt and mix it nicely and cover it with a lid and keep it aside to ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
How to proceed
10. Heat a non-stick tawa (griddle), grease it lightly with 1/4 tsp butter, sprinkle a little water on it (it should sizzle immediately) and wipe off with a wet piece of cloth.
11. Pour 1/4Th of the batter on the tawa (griddle) and spread in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7") thin dosa.
12. Brush 2 tsp of butter on the edges of the dosa and spread 1/4Th of the prepared aloo masala evenly over the dosa with a spatula and cook till the dosa turns golden brown in color.
13. Fold over while pressing it lightly, with a spatula to make a flat roll and serve it with coconut chutney.
- Meghna Nath