Bharat Bandh Today: May affect the banking and transport operationsNovember 26, 2020 14:07
(Image source from: dnaindia.com)
The workers are protesting from 10 various central unions today. The protest calls over 25 worker to take in the nationwide strike. The protest can impact the several banking and transport services.
The long day strike includes the unions from various departments like Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC), All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC), Hind Mazdoor Sabha (HMS), Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), All India United Trade Union Centre (AIUTUC), Trade Union Co-ordination Centre (TUCC) and Self-Employed Women's Association (SEWA). The protest is a joint platform that includes various other independent federations.
Bharat bandh today is against the central government policies. Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh government has prolonged the Essential Services Maintenance Act in order to ban strikes for six months.
How it affects the banking and transport services?
The reason for strike impact on baking services is, the trade unions have called the bank unions for the support. The strike call can affect the normal working of banks and rendering the services. It is said that over 4.5 lakh bank employees have planned to stop their services throughout the day.
Also, in most of the states, auto and taxi drivers have decided to participate in the strike. The railway and defence federations have promised to give the solidarity support for the workers who are protesting.
The purpose and demands of the protest
- The trade union have a demand of being offered Rs 7,500 per month for the non-income tax paying families. The demand also includes 10 Kgs of free ration as a help for needy person.
- The unions demand to expand the rural employment guarantee scheme which provides 200 days work per annum. This demand is under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)
- The joint platform demands withdrawal of all “anti-farmer laws” and “anti worker labour codes”. Government has to stop privatizing the public sectors. They want to stop corporation of govt led manufacturing and entities like railways, factories and ports.
- The set of demands include the withdraw of "draconian circular on forced premature retirement of government and PSU employees".
- Another demand is to offer pension to all and restoration of previous pension with improvement in EPS-95.
By Ramya C